Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Family Portrait

The alternator covers on BMW "R" motorcycles are very odd creatures. One loose bolt and they will be more than happy to part company with you of their own accord, Leaving the hall timing sensors and other important engine bits exposed to whatever.  

On the other hand try to install one, and it is almost impossible to get it in position. Threading a foot long piece of plastic through the maze of exhaust pipes underneath an 800 pound bike is not my favorite thing.

Particularly at 3AM, I swear my nieghbors must think I am on crack.

Why am I doing this you ask.

Oh I forgot to mention our car got repossessed during my last layoff.

So we are all motorcycles, all the time here now. Unfortunately the big Beemer that we depend on needs a lot of expensive parts which we can't afford right now. So, instead of sleeping I spend many wee hours rubber banding and duct tap[ing that contraption back together.

For lack of a better transition here I am often amazed at the paradigm shifts I have regarding my students. There was an incident in my classroom yesterday which I do not have time to relate now....but it involved my boots and it just got me to wondering what is it that DRIVES these kids so fiercly to be loyal to their gang and to be constantly on the highest state of alert for the smallest sign of disrespect.
 
Blogged with the Flock Browser

No comments: