Sunday, November 14, 2010

Rolling with the "Beats"

I recently picked up a book at the library called "The Beat Reader."    One thing anyone who is familiar with this literature could probably agree on is that it is Leftist to say the least.  In the context of this post I wish it were possible to strip the Lword of its chequred baggage and use it as a descriptive word only.

To get to the point, I am having a great day today living the Beat life.  There was a time not too long ago when I didn't think I would ever say that, given my Objectivist ideals.  But, personal and prolonged brushes with poverty have a powerful influence.

Even more to the point is I enjoy the relationship I have with the other members of the Hooligans.  We are all fans of Beat writing and have many discussions about books and philosophy.   The outcome of this type of thinking is nobody goes without in the group.  Just like today.

I met one of the Hooligans for coffee and only had three dollars in my wallet and an empty gas tank.  The other Hooligan is question had 23 dollars.  I told him I could only have coffee that morning because we were in-between paychecks and I had no money.  With out even a thought the twenty dollars was split into two ten dollar tanks of gas.  We chose a shorter ride than originally planned to accommodate the comfortable range of the bikes in question.  When we got to our destination we pooled what money we had, scrounged for a little change and asked the young lady behind the rough, wooden coffee bar if we could get two of something for that amount of money.  Turns out it was just the right amount with a little left over for tip.

We came home broke, but happy in a morning well spent.








No comments: